Low magnesium can create many health problems. There’s a correlation between heart attacks and magnesium deficiencies. Magnesium deficiencies can be caused by low carb diets and medications designed to reduce stomach acids. With eating Keto, Magnesium can be found in food and supplements.[ctt template=”8″ link=”j4Ss5″ via=”yes” ]”Shut UP and Eat Your Greens”, Dr. Berry #Keto #KetoDiet #Ketogenic[/ctt]
Symptoms of Low Magnesium
- Leg Cramps (Charlie Horses)
- Low Energy
- Negative Mindset or “Bad Mood”
- High Blood Pressure
People who consume a low-carb diet can become magnesium-deficient. This mineral is essential to maintaining a normal heart rhythm, muscle and nerve function, and improving the immune system. It’s also helpful for maintaining healthy bones and assists with more than 300 other bodily functions.
In a keto diet, the recommended dose of magnesium is 300-400 mg a day. You do need to ensure you get these daily doses as low levels of magnesium could result in headaches, sleep problems, nausea, and anxiety.
Foods Rich in Magnesium
- Green Leafy Vegetables – You’ll never go wrong with these. They contain about 110 mg of magnesium. Greens are also a great source for Vitamins A, C, and iron.
- Almonds and other Nuts or Seeds – A snack food so rich in nutrients especially magnesium.
- Fatty Fish like Mackerel or Pollock – An excellent source of protein. Try mixing it with green leafy or avocados and you’ll get plenty of magnesium.
- Dark Chocolate – Yes, we’re talking about your comfort food. One serving could give you about 65 mg of Magnesium.
- Avocados – A heart-healthy food rich in monounsaturated fats. It’s also good for the skin.
Some food rich in magnesium contains carbohydrates so select those that are low in the carb or no carb at all. Be creative and experiment with other ingredients for a hearty meal.
[amazon_link asins=’B003I4P3JS,B01N3CQJ5D,B00013YZ1Q,B07957SF2V’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’us-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8ab50bf1-6fd8-11e8-a814-71dcd302be81′]
Magnesium Citrate and Glycinate are suggested. Many enjoy Epsom salt baths as well.