You are awakened from a dead sleep with the worst pain ever. It’s possible that you haven’t had a charlie horse like this since childhood. You’ve experienced the dreaded keto leg cramp. You might also simply feel “heavy legs” or have cramps before, during, or after a workout. All you can ask is How Do I Stop These Leg Cramps?
In most cases, charlie horses, or leg cramps are from either deyhydration or lack of magnesium when it comes to the Keto Diet specifically.
Here’s how you can avoid Keto Leg Cramps in the future.
If you pick up something like Dr. Berg’s Keto Kit, you can cover most of those requirements taking those daily.
You want to get in 300-400 MG of Magnesium a day.
I take 4 magnesium glycinate tablets before bed every night. – Keto Coach Lori Ballen
FOODS RICH IN MAGNESIUM
- Green Leafy Vegetables – You’ll never go wrong with these. They contain about 110 mg of magnesium. Greens are also a great source for Vitamins A, C, and iron.
- Almonds and other Nuts or Seeds – A snack food so rich in nutrients especially magnesium. (See More on Keto Nuts)
- Fatty Fish like Mackerel or Pollock – An excellent source of protein. Try mixing it with green leafy or avocados and you’ll get plenty of magnesium.
- Dark Chocolate – Yes, we’re talking about your comfort food. One serving could give you about 65 mg of Magnesium.
- Avocados – A heart-healthy food rich in monounsaturated fats. It’s also good for the skin. (There’s about 25 mg of magnesium in a medium avocado)
Some food rich in magnesium contains carbohydrates so select those that are low in the carb or no carb at all. Be creative and experiment with other ingredients for a hearty meal.
I take Magnesium Glycinate every day before bed. 400 mg. – here’s a link to the exact magnesium product I use.
Potassium is extremely effective with hypertensive people. It helps normalize the blood pressure and keeps the heart healthy. This mineral is also responsible for electrolyte balance. You need potassium with the keto diet as they help with muscle contractions, pH balance, water balance, and digestion.
People on a keto diet need at least 3000-5000 mg of potassium a day.
Top 5 Food Rich in Potassium
- Salmon – a superfood that contains 967 mg of potassium. (That’s about 25-30% of daily requirements)
- Spinach and other Dark Green Leafy Vegetables – Spinach has about 800 mg of potassium.
- Avocados – A fruit rich in several nutrients including potassium (708 mg in a medium avocado).
- Zucchini – Contains about 512 mg of potassium.
- Beef – A delicious protein that contains almost 400 mg of potassium.
Other food that contains potassium includes mushrooms, sirloin steak, Brussel sprouts, and cauliflower.
I’m a Fan of Dr. Berg’s Electrolyte Powder and Wheatgrass Juice Powder for daily potassium and magnesium.Keto Coach Lori Ballen