If you’re wondering what the difference between Atkins and K
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
- What is the Atkins Diet?
- What is the Keto Diet?
- How Much Weight Can I lose on Atkins?
- How Much Weight Can I lose on Keto?
- How Long Does It Take to See Results on Atkins?
- How Long Does It Take to See Results on Keto?
- What Can You Eat on Atkins?
- What Can You Eat on Keto?
- Can You Drink Alcohol on Atkins?
- Can You Drink Alcohol on Keto?
What is the Atkins Diet?
The Atkins diet is a low-carb diet that’s typically used to help with weight loss.
This diet aims to help you lose weight without having to limit your consumption of protein and fat, provided you avoid foods that have a high carb content.
A growing body of evidence over the past decade or so has demonstrated that adopting a low-carb diet without necessarily counting calories can help with weight loss and result in a variety of other health improvements.
Studies have shown that the Atkins diet results in more weight and health improvements (such as healthier levels of blood sugar, triglycerides, and cholesterol) compared to low-fat diets.
Among the main reasons for the effectiveness of low-carb diets is that limiting carb intake and increasing protein consumption.
This results in a reduction in your appetite, which makes it easy to eat fewer calories without a struggle.
What is the Keto Diet?
Numerous studies have demonstrated that this diet can be effective for weight loss and other health improvements.
Emerging research suggests that the keto diet may even offer health benefits against Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy, cancer, and diabetes.
The Keto Diet involves significantly reducing your consumption of carbs and replacing them with fat, a dietary modification that results on a metabolic state referred to as ketosis.
For this reason, this diet shares a lot of similarities with other low-carb diets such as the Atkins diet.
During ketosis, your body becomes remarkably efficient and burning fat and converting it to energy.
Moreover, your liver converts fats to ketones that supply your brain with energy. The keto diet also results in a massive reduction in the levels of blood sugar and insulin.
Along with the increase in ketone production, this leads to a variety of health benefits.
How Much Weight Can I lose on Atkins?
You can lose up to 15 pounds in the first two weeks of the first phase of the Atkins diet. It is, however, important to note that these results are no typical.
The Atkins diet acknowledges that the initial weight loss might be due to loss of water weight.
To continue losing weight in phases 2 and 3 of the diet, it is imperative that you do not exceed to carb consumption that your body can tolerate.
How Much Weight Can I lose on Keto?
Within the first few weeks of the keto diet, you may lose 10 or more pounds.
However, most of these initial pounds will be water weight.
The good news is that, as long as you stick to a low-carb high-fat diet and exercise regularly, you’re likely to see remarkable weight loss results.
How Long Does It Take to See Results on Atkins?
The Induction Phase of the Atkins diet lasts about 14 days, within which you should begin to see significant results.
As your carb intake reduces, your body will start to burn fat and convert it to fuel.
This fat-burning metabolic process result is responsible for weight loss.
How Long Does It Take to See Results on Keto?
Within the first month into the keto diet, you can lose 10 or more pounds as reduced intake of carbs forced your body into ketosis.
It is, however, important to note that the results of the keto diet vary from one person to another due to a variety of factors including a person’s unique biochemical makeup.
What Can You Eat on Atkins?
The Atkins diet is based on the following foods.
- Seafood and fatty fish: Sardines, trout, salmon, etc.
- Meats: Chicken, beef, bacon, lamb, and pork among others.
- Low-carb veggies: Asparagus, broccoli, spinach, and kale among others.
- Healthy fats: Coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocados oil, and avocados.
- Eggs: Pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs are the healthiest.
- Nuts and seeds: Macadamia nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc.
- Full-fat dairy: Cheese, butter, full-fat yogurt, and cream.
Some of the beverages that are allowed on the Atkins diet include:
- Water. Water is the go-to beverage for every healthy diet.
- Coffee. Research has shown that coffee is quite healthy as it is high in antioxidants.
- Green tea. This is one of the most popular healthy beverages.
- The Atkins diet allows for a variety of delicious recipes that include foods such as heavy cream, bacon, dark chocolate and cheese. Many of these recipes are seen to be fattening because of their fat and calorie content is high.
However, when you adopt a low-carb diet, your body becomes highly efficient at converting fat into energy and suppresses your appetite.
These effects reduce the risk of weight gain and overeating respectively.
What Can You Eat on Keto?
When you’re on the Keto diet, you can base your meals on the following foods.
- Fatty fish. Mackerel, tuna, trout, salmon, etc.
- Meats: Steak, red meat, sausage, ham, turkey, chicken, and bacon.
- Cream and butter: Give preference to grass-fed dairies.
- Unprocessed cheese: Mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, cream cheese, goat cheese, and cheddar cheese.
- Eggs: Give preference to omega-3 whole eggs and pastured eggs.
- Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and chia seeds among others.
- Low-carb vegetables: Peppers, onions, tomatoes, most green veggies, etc.
- Avocados: Freshly made guacamole and whole avocados.
- Healthy oils: Coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil.
- Condiments: Salt, pepper, and a variety of healthy herbs and spices.
- It is advisable to use whole, single-ingredient foods for your diet.
Can You Drink Alcohol on Atkins?
You’re not allowed to drink alcohol during the Induction Phase of the Atkins diet because consuming alcohol drinks such as cocktails, wine or beer might interfere with your weight loss.
After the induction phase, you can drink small amounts of alcohol provided you exercise caution.
During Phase 2 of the Atkins diet, you can enjoy the occasional glass of wine provided you keep the carbs within your daily limit.
When counting the carbs, remember that one serving of alcohol is five ounces. So watch your portion sizes and avoid going for an entire glass.
According to the Atkins website, it’s also acceptable to take scotch, vodka rye and gin once you are in Phase 2 of the diet.
Do, however, be careful about mixing liquor as popular mixers such as fruit juice and tonic water are high in carbs. Instead, use diet soda, diet tonic, seltzer, lime, lemon juice, and four ounces of tomato juice.
For better weight loss results, avoid alcohol entirely because, when alcohol is available, the body prioritizes burning the alcohol for fuel, meaning it will not burn fat.
Can You Drink Alcohol on Keto?
It’s advisable to avoid alcohol while you’re on the keto diet.
While careful alcohol consumption might not kick you out of ketosis, it can slow down your efforts.
If you have to drink while on this diet, stick to straight liquors and dry wine.
Alcoholic beverages such as beers and cocktails high in sugar and carbs are a definite no-no while you’re on the keto diet.
Alcohol consumption slows down your keto efforts because of the way your body processes alcohol.
When alcohol enters your system, your liver’s metabolic system prioritizes alcohol over fat.
As a result, fatty acid oxidation (the process that facilitates ketone production) slows down until the liver is done processing all the alcohol.